Friday, March 12, 2010

The Interview

Wednesday I have a job interview. For the first time in my life I am actually excited about a job interview. The job is for a full time airbrush position with a prominent custom motorcycle painting shop. It's amazing to me that there would be such a job available anywhere, let alone just a few miles away (ok, like 116 miles, but it's not Miami). They saw my work and they really liked it. Well, they liked it enough to want to see it in person and to talk with me as well. This is probably the most amazing thing that has happened to me in a long time. Even if I don't get the job for some reason, I had an interview for THE job I am working towards. As much as I would love to start my own shop, and that is in my future, working in a shop would really put me in a position to work on my experience and work on getting my art on projects.
How did I do it? Well, I applied. That's pretty much it. I wrote a nice cover letter and sent them some of my work. I realized that this is a field much like the computer/tech industry, where most of it doesn't matter so long as you can prove your work is yours and you aren't a douche bag (well, that last one doesn't seem to matter when it comes to computers...). After some hesitation I sent in my stuff (at the urging of my loving wife) and after they got back from bike week in Miami (!!), they emailed me. I called and set up a time.
Amazing.
Other than to toot my own horn (TOOT!), I'm trying to illustrate that you can be some guy in an apartment, putting down some paint, but you aren't going to move much beyond that if you don't put yourself out there. If this is what you really want to do, then make some moves. Even if it means having to actually move to another city. People do in the hospital industry, even tech and sales guys if it means a better lifestyle and better career goals. Folks sell their worldly belongings so that they can go to Hollywood. Put yourself out there. Send some cover letters with a nice portfolio (use links and explain its to ensure safety, or use a PDF for slides). Just get out there. Painting the planet is going to take forever from inside your garage.

The Video of the Post is brought to you by Magik:
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment